Following the Showcase in DCU on 20 September, the Elevator team hit the road to bring the Elevator message into local communities around the country. The itinerary included:
- 21 September 2016: Clonmel (am) Cork (am/pm) & Kinsale (pm)
- 22 September 2016: Tralee (am) & Limerick (pm)
- 23 September 2016: Roscommon (am) & Castlebar (pm)
- 24 September 2016: Achill Island (am/pm)
- 26 September 2016: Donegal (am)
- 27th September 2016: Dundalk (am)
The team covered 1,176 km and a total of 1,000 people attended the different Roadshow events. Feedback from the people we met was generally positive and the trip generated significant interest and demand for the training on offer. We really enjoyed meeting the people dealing with dementia in local communities and learned a lot from them along the way. We have returned from our trip happy to have made these first steps, but convinced of the need for increased local supports to make ageing in place a more viable option for people with dementia.
You can find out more about the Dementia Roadshow by reading Dr Kate Irving’s blog, which describes each stop along the way: kates-dementia-elevator-roadshow-blog.